Cashew-Cookie CarolBars

Carol » September 10, 2009 » In Recipes » 13 Comments

Cashew Cookie Treats

A Rich And Delicious Treat!

We buy and love eating Larabars, “The Original Fruit And Nut Food Bar”. Tom can carry one in his golf bag. I, on the other hand, love them with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I also carry them with me in the car in case I get too hungry while doing errands.

I have read that several people’s favorite is “Cashew Cookie”.  And I have to agree! It’s the most cookie-tasting (to me) of all the Larabars. And I think of them when I want a dessert-like treat!

When I finally discovered the Cashew-Cookie at our local co-op, they were $1.79 a bar! For as often as we’d like to eat them, it seemed like I needed to find a comparable homemade (hopefully cheaper) alternative. And here it is:

Cashew-Cookie CarolBars

• 1 cup Medjool dates (around 12 large, pitted–or .38 lb. before pitting–amount may vary depending upon moisture content of dates)
  • 2 cups raw cashews, separated into 1-cup portions (around .57 lb.)

Servings: 13 48-gram “bars”

Put dates and 1-cup cashews into food processor bowl. Process until mixture forms a ball and rolls around the outside of the bowl.

Dates And Raw CashewsFirst GrindSecond GrindBall Stage

Break ball into several pieces around bottom of food processor bowl. Add 2nd cup of raw cashews on top and process, stopping when cashew pieces are still visible.Comparison

Measure out 48 gram portions into a silicone mold (your shape preference) and then pop onto a plate. Cover with Stretch-Tite. Freeze those you won’t be eating soon. (I love eating them straight from the freezer!)

Tom and my daughter and I had these “cookies”. The flavor is exactly the same as a Cashew-Cookie bar. The texture is slightly more chewy (less crumbly) and just as delicious (we all agree). My son, on the other hand, doesn’t like fruit/nut bars, and doesn’t think the word “cookie” applies here. (Goodie! More for me.)

I will check the cost of the dates and cashews for a price comparison, and add it here. (I am certain it is significantly cheaper than $1.79 per bar.)

[Edit on 10/19/09: Today I purchased the ingredients at an organic foods co-op. The medjool dates were $2.43--at $6.39 a lb. The raw cashews were $3.41--at $5.99 a lb. Each bar cost 45¢ to make, at a savings of  $1.34 per bar!  These ingredients were expensive; I'm sure you can find cheaper sources. My Costco medjool dates are 2-lbs. for $7.99, which would make the bars 37¢ each--a savings of $1.42 a bar! And Costco's medjools are also the best I have found for snacking: each one is ooey-gooey delicious!]

I am excited to think of all the possibility of dried fruits (cranberries, apricots, sour cherries, prunes) and nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts). And think of all the fruit-and-nut combinations, too!

[Edit on 10/19/09: The Ginger Snap flavor, which is fruitcake-like to me, is made of: dates, almonds, pecan, ginger, cinammon, and cloves. For those who like fruitcake.]

[Edit on 7/5/10:  These can be shaped/rolled into balls, for a smaller sized treat. The balls can be rolled in a coating: unsweetened cocoa powder, unsweetened coconut flakes, etc.]

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Comments on "Cashew-Cookie CarolBars"

1. admin
    sodacracker
    11/09/2009 at 7:36 am Permalink

Once I get back to goal these are definitely on my to do list. Thanks for trying this out and posting your pictures. Looking forward to more recipe creations.

2. admin
    sodacracker
    11/09/2009 at 7:48 am Permalink

btw, I went over to the Lara bar site and here is the NI on their cashew cookie bar which is just 2 g. larger than yours so the NI should be the same. A 45 g. bar is 210 calories, 12 grams fat ( 2 g. saturated, 7 g. monounsaturated, 2 g polysaturated), 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fibre, 14 g. sugars, 6 g protein.

itching to try almond/ coconut/ apricot
    and raw cocoa,/date,/pecan

Let me know if your try those!

3. admin
    Carol
    11/09/2009 at 8:58 am Permalink

It was fun, Soda. Pretty darned easy, in fact. You can “celebrate” getting to goal with these!

4. admin
    Carol
    11/09/2009 at 9:02 am Permalink

I’m thinking maybe they’re making them smaller? Mine is: 48 grams (1.7 oz.) Otherwise the nutritional information is the same.

Tom loved their “Ginger Snap” flavor. It tasted like fruitcake…and he’s a fan of fruitcake! I’ll check the ingredients next time to see what is in them.

5. admin
    Carol
    11/09/2009 at 9:08 am Permalink

Does everybody know that if you click on a picture, it will enlarge?

6. admin
    sodacracker
    12/09/2009 at 6:32 pm Permalink

I made these tonight with some grocery store bulk dates and raw cashews. I needed three cups dates and two cups cashews to get the mixture to look like your third picture. It never formed a ball in the food processor, but was easily moulded into 12 x 45 gram bars.
    My cashews and dates cost $9 or .75 per bar. Took about 15 minutes to make and portion out. Great value and delicious.

7. admin
    Carol
    12/09/2009 at 7:48 pm Permalink

Thanks for the feedback, Soda. I edited my recipe. I had picked out the biggest, fattest, most gooey Medjool dates from the bulk bin at the co-op. They must have had more moisture.

Great value. I planned to cost my ingredients at the co-op today, but forgot my 1-cup measure! Sounds like we got the same number of bars, though.

8. admin
    Carol
    17/09/2009 at 8:25 am Permalink

I got this comment from KimberleyW and wanted to share: “Oh, yes! I thought they were good fresh from the food processor. And then I thought they were good after sitting on the counter for a day. And then I thought they were good after being in the fridge. And then I realized I was wrong and that they’re BEST coming out of the freezer!!!”

I have to agree with Kimberley; my favorite is just out of the freezer!

9. admin
    Kimberley
    19/09/2009 at 4:07 pm Permalink

How true! Those bars are *deadly* from the freezer!!!
    I’m just so happy you posted this recipe. I’ve got celiacs so there aren’t a lot of gluten-free bars on the market. I had such a hard time justifying the expense of LaraBars. I let down my guard over the summer when we were traveling so much in the car. But now I can make them for pennies on the dollar and am so much happier!! Of course, now I also need to be much more careful since they are so inexpensive and handy!!!

10. admin
    sodacracker
    04/11/2009 at 7:32 pm Permalink

I enjoyed eating these but am reserving them for when I am not in maximum weight loss mode : )

11. admin
    WWDonna
    28/11/2011 at 4:07 pm Permalink

I am going to make these for my daughter. Have you ever made them with peanuts?

12. admin
    Carol
    29/11/2011 at 5:06 pm Permalink

I haven’t, Donna. But there is a Peanut Butter Cookie flavor of LaraBar, so I know it’s possible.
    They also have a Peanut Butter And Jelly bar that has: dates, peanuts, and dried cherries. You’ll have to let me know how yours turn out. :0)

Last time, for a party, I rolled about 2 tsp. of the dough, round and round in my palms until they were balls. I froze them for the party, and they were a perfect size finger-food.

13. admin
    WWDonna
    23/12/2012 at 3:21 pm Permalink

So glad I found this recipe again! I did make these for my older daughter last year and she is still talking about them. I’m making up an another batch today.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

©2009-2011 Plant-Powered.com, All Rights Reserved.