Many thank yous to my husband’s daughter who shared this Vita-Mix smoothie recipe with me. I lived on these smoothies last Summer. For two reasons: 1) they are amazingly refreshing, healthful and delicious, and 2) I had a small garden with a bounty of cucumbers!
As I was checking out cucumber plants in Spring, I was intrigued by the one named “Boothbys Blonde”.
Territorial Seed Company lists it as: ” 60-65 days. This small and uniquely attractive cucumber is an heirloom variety from the Boothby family in Livermore, Maine. Expect large yields of 3–5 inch, creamy-yellow fruits with black spines. Sweet and crunchy, these cukes can be eaten fresh or used to make wonderful sweet pickles. Add a bit of history and uniqueness to your cucumber patch this year.” I couldn’t pick them fast enough!
The skin was tender and light, which meant I never had to peel them. Remember the timeline: In Winter, order your seeds! In Spring, plant your cucumbers. And in Summer, enjoy this smoothie recipe again and again. (It’s addictive.)
Vita-Mix Cucumber-Melon Smoothie
- 1/4 c soy milk (I use Silk Organic Unsweetened; any nut or plant-milk will do)
- 1 cup green or red grapes
- 1 1/2 cups cantaloupe chunks
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and cubed (no need to peel a Boothby’s Blonde cuke)
- 1 cup honeydew chunks (substitute more cantaloupe if you don’t have honeydew)
- 1 small lime, peeled, seeded, and halved
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Blend for 45 secs or until desired consistency. Turn Vita-Mix dial quickly from 1-10, then from “variable” to “high” until smooth.