I just discovered this plant recipe for Holiday (Eggless) Nog and it’s a keeper! I’m putting it in my Holiday Recipes binder for next year’s holiday season.
There is no way I thought this recipe would taste exactly like eggnog (made with eggs and cream and sugar). But I just made it and Tom said, “Throw a little whiskey in there and everybody would love it!” (He jokes.) We both think it is seriously delicious. Thick and creamy and reminiscent of holidays past.
I’d like to give credit to Chef AJ for this recipe and toast her for sharing!
HEALTHY HOLIDAY NOG
Servings: About 4 1/2 cups
- 3 cups plant milk (you can presoak your dates in your plant milk if you don’t have a powerful blender like a Vita-Mix)
- 3-6 dates, pitted (depending upon how sweet you like your nog; I use big Medjool dates from Costco)
- 1 TBS. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. rum extract
- 1/4 tsp. fresh nutmeg, grated (or more to taste)
- 1 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- Turn Vita-Mix dial from 1-10, then from “variable” to “high”, and process until silky smooth. Chill nog in Vita-Mix canister in fridge until ready to drink. Process for a few seconds, pour and serve. Sprinkle additional nutmeg on top.
For plant milk I love SILK’s Organic unsweetened soymilk in the green carton. I use it as “cream” in my decaf coffee each day.
You can also use almond milk, other soymilks, rice milk, hemp milk, etc.
For an easy way to make almond milk, see Chef AJ’s recipe:
EASY ALMOND MILK (no soaking or straining required)
Servings: 3 cups
- 3 cups purified water (or young coconut water for a different flavor)
- 1 TBS. almond butter, raw unsalted (pour off oil from jar first)
- Optional: add dates for sweetness, and/or vanilla extract
- Process for several seconds with your Vita-Mix or blender.
If you only need one cup of almond milk, mix one cup of purified water with 1 teaspoon of almond butter.
How easy is that?!